Saturday, January 7, 2012

All We See or Seem

"So...you and Bobby, huh? When did that happen?"

"I don't know. It just happened some time while you were gone. Bobby's...he's different, you know?"

"Oh, yeah. He's quite unique. Good. I'm glad for you two. But do you think you could do me one little favor? I mean, even though we don't owe each other anything?"

"Sure."

"Will you, please, tell Mom!?"

"Wow, Bobby was right. I'm surprised I never saw it before. You really are afraid of women," Tricia laughed and patted Aaron on the head. "I'll see you at Christmas." She turned and walked back through the portico.

Aaron rolled his eyes in disgust and murmured, "Afraid of women. Bull sh--"

"It was nice Tricia could come." Oh good, Mom was back.

"Ah. Back for another pound of flesh, Mother?"

She laughed and slipped her arm around him. "Yeah, sorry about that."

"You know that's never gonna happen, right?"

"Mmmm... Wanna hear the kicker? I already know about Tricia and Bobby." She giggled.

"What!? If you already knew, why the h--?"

"Well, I just like messing with you." She smiled mischievously. "Call it a mother's love." Aaron had to laugh then. He put his arm around her shoulders and hugged her.

"I'm going to miss you, Mom."

"Yeah, me too. Just...you know, if you meet someone out there..."

"Mom."

"Sorry. Old habits and all that." She squeezed his waist and stepped toward the portico. "Come back to the party, Aaron. Have a little fun."

Aaron raised one eyebrow at her. Fun? Right. He glanced back at the door to his father's office. It would have to wait until later. Reluctantly he followed his mother back to the veranda and death by boredom.

No comments:

Post a Comment